Monday, April 4, 2011

Weekend Recap - Sporty Edition

This weekend was a blast - full of sportiness and outdoors. It all started Friday after work when my sister Amy and the boyfriend ran the Crystal City 5k. Also, special shout out to the sister's boyfriend for cheering us all on and holding my stuff during the run. I didn't run quite as fast as I was hoping for, but it was still a great time and much more active than my usual Fridays after work. My sister did spectacular in the race, she came in 9th place overall for the girls! Congratulations and way to go!!!!
The boyfriend and I 
My sister
After the race I dashed off to go change back into my work clothes so I could go meet up with friends for my friend Jesica's going away party - she is leaving for Afghanistan today to go work there for about 2 months. This is her second time going and I'm extremely nervous for her even though I know everything will be fine. Dinner was a blast - we had a private room at the restaurant, the food was excellent, and everyone was having a great time. After dinner I ducked out to head home since I was exhausted while everyone else went to go out for the night.

The Monument and the Cherry Blossoms
The next morning I had to be on the National Mall at 7am because I was volunteering at the Cherry Blossom Soccer Tournament. The boyfriend was playing it, and I volunteered to help set up for the event and there was a lot to do. From the moment I got there I was put to work but it was so much fun helping out. The weather was less than ideal, it was cold, raining off and on, and even hailing at times. Around noon my shift was over, and I spent the rest of the day spectating at the boyfriends games. We also went for a walk to check out the Cherry Blossoms, since we were right by them. By the time we got home around 7:30 I was so exhausted and had been outside for 13 hours straight. 

Me and the boyfriend's teammates
The boyfriend about to score a goal
Me trying to stay warm
The boyfriend out on the field
The boyfriend on the sidelines


The tournament lasted 2 days - the top 2 teams in each group moved on to play the following day (went from 32 teams on Sat to 16 teams on Sunday). This meant that Sunday morning we also had to be out on the mall super early again. His team made it all the way to elite 8 but then lost so they were out. The good news is that since I volunteered I got us 2 free tickets to go see a DC United game!

After the tournament, we headed over to my soccer game. We ended up tying but the game was still fun - the other team was getting super argumentative in the second half, which made the game very entertaining to watch. Once all the soccer games were finally over for the weekend, we had a nice relaxing night with us going out to our favorite Mexican restaurant for dinner and going to bed early.

1 comment:

  1. sounds like a fun weekend! I'm sad i'm missing the cherry blossoms. They are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete