Monday, January 24, 2011

All Fired Up

Saturday night, my friend Jesica ("The Bad", of famed The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly), invited me to paint pottery at All Fired Up with her boyfriend Chris. I had sooooo much fun and loved it! All Fired Up provided a very relaxing atmosphere to paint away (something I love to do), and the best part was you could even bring in your own food and drinks. The staff was super helpful if you had questions or needed ideas, but didn't bug you if you didn't.

For those of you who don't know how it works, you pick a piece from the wall that you want to paint. There's everything from little boxes, to plates, to mugs, to tiles, to figurines. I was very impressed by the array of options. After you've picked out your piece, you pick out your paint colors, and paint away. When you are finished painting, you leave your piece and they fire it for you, and you pick it up in about a week.

After much debating, I decided to paint a Elephant Bank (like a piggie bank, but the shape is an elephant). I decided to make a bunch of squares on the piece in yellow, red and blue, some overlapping, some not. The painting takes much longer than you would think, mostly because of how many coats you need. I put on 3 coats of each color - the more coats the darker, more rich the color is.

Here are some pictures of the night and the unfired elephant:







Jesica working on her turtle tile


Chris working on his beer stein. He painted the "Piggly Wiggly" pig on it - quite impressive!

No comments:

Post a Comment