Wednesday, January 26, 2011

My Morning Commute

On most days, I walk to work. It takes me roughly 10 minutes door-to-door - it's one of the many things that makes me love my job! However, when I stay over at the boyfriend's it usually takes me 45ish minutes to get into work. We take a bus to the red line metro, and then I switch from the red line to the orange line, ride the orange for a bit, and then get off. Not too bad, especially since we do the commute together up until I switch to orange.

This morning however, things went horribly awry. We take the bus, get to the red line station when we hear that they are single-tracking for 3 stops, 1 of which being the stop we were at. We wait about 10 minutes before a single train arrives at the station. Since they are single-tracking, all trains are coming and going from just 1 of the 2 tracks. A train arrives, but it's not ours - heading in the wrong direction. About 5 minutes later, another train arrives - not ours again. Then we hear an announcement - the next 2 trains that are arriving will be heading in our direction. BUT, they are "express trains" meaning they won't be stopping at our stop. I guess that was for the best seeing as those 2 trains were packed to the brim when they went through. Finally, the 5th train arrives and we are finally able to get on a train.

Just when I think we are finally going to be on our way, we sit at the station while the doors keep opening and closing. I'm not sure if a door was malfunctioning, if someone was leaning on it, or if people just kept trying to dart on while the doors were closing, but it took about 10 tries before we were finally able to leave the station. We finally arrive at my stop, when I say goodbye to the boyfriend and run off to catch the orange line. I get down there just as the orange line is pulling away - of course! I look up at the sign and see that the next orange line train isn't coming for another 10 minutes! This is supposed to be RUSH HOUR!!!

I finally made it into work - after an hour and forty minutes. That's right one hour and forty minutes! And to think my commute could have been 10 minutes and stress free! Thankfully my boss could not have cared one bit that I was super late, and it looks like I won't be having my soccer game tonight, since they are predicting 5-10" of snow and the government has already shut down for the day (if the game is on, then I will have to leave work 45 mins early...of course, on the 1 day I come in late, sigh). Is it the weekend yet???

1 comment:

  1. Oh man I can't believe you guys are supposed to get more snow! Luckily you can just walk home and then not deal with crazy drivers

    ReplyDelete